Marie Louise Plourd and Dona Plourd Corr Interview
Download Transcript of Marie Louise Plourd and Dona Corr Interview (2.1 MB)
Dona Corr assists her French-speaking mother, Marie Plourd, in describing how she immigrated to the Frenchtown valley in Montana in 1900 and married to Donat Plourd, who emigrated from Quebec, Canada. Corr describes the businesses and saloons that were part of the Frenchtown valley communities including the Hamel Hotel which had a saloon and butcher shop on the main floor. She shares memories of attending the Miron, later Loiselle, School before going to school in the Frenchtown convent, and later the public high school in Missoula, Montana. She notes that, at the Miron School, 80 percent of the students spoke only French. Corr and Plourd also recall the St. John’s Day celebrations, and talk about Father Lionel Legris, who owned the first car in Frenchtown. Corr concludes by talking about attending college in Dillon to obtain her teaching certificate. She mentions that she was the second Frenchtown girl to get a teaching certificate.
Only a transcript of this interview exists. The audio is missing.
Frenchtown, Montana; Huson, Montana; Miron School; Loiselle School; Father Legree; St. John’s Day; Teachers, Montana; French-Canadian immigrants; Immigration, Montana; O’Keefe School; Automobiles; Farmers, Montana; Quebec, Canada; Homesteading, Montana; Father Lionel Legris
Frenchtown Historical Society Oral History Project, OH 047, Archives and Special Collections, Mansfield Library, University of Montana-Missoula
University of Montana-Missoula. Mansfield Library
Copyright to this collection is held by the interview participants and by the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, University of Montana-Missoula. Permission may be required for use. For further information please contact Archives and Special Collections: (406) 243-2053 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Oral History Number
1 transcript (16 p.: 28 cm.)
Plourd, Marie Louise and Corr, Dona, "Marie Louise Plourd and Dona Plourd Corr Interview" (1975). Frenchtown Historical Society Oral History Project. 16.