William “Bill” Kamhoot describes the Custer Freight Road which ran from Fort Keogh to Fort Custer. He tells how the road’s construction started in 1878 at the same time the first telegraph line was being built. Kamhoot recalls how the United States Cavalry was often stationed at Merritt Camp in Lame Deer, Montana, or the Tongue River Agency. He also mentions other stations or movements of the Cavalry. Kamhoot briefly describes interactions between the white homesteaders, specifically the Alderson family after whom the Alderson Gulch is named, and the Crow tribe. He concludes by discussing more McIntosh family history.
Custer Freight Road; Fort Keogh; Fort Custer; Merritt Camp; Lame Deer; Tongue River Agency; Alderson; Crow tribe, Montana; Crow Reservation, Montana
William Kamhoot Oral History Project, OH 014, Archives and Special Collections, Mansfield Library, University of Montana-Missoula
University of Montana-Missoula. Mansfield Library
Copyright to this collection is held by the interview participants and by the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, University of Montana-Missoula. Permission may be required for use. For further information please contact Archives and Special Collections: (406) 243-2053 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Oral History Number
1 sound cassette (01:00:00 min.) analog + 1 transcript (25 p.: 28 cm.)
Kamhoot, William, "William Kamhoot Interview 2, circa 1963" (1963). William Kamhoot Oral History Project. 2.