UPDATE: After thoughtful deliberation among the staff and faculty advisors of the Public Land & Resources Law Review, we have decided to host the 2021 Public Land Law Conference fully online, as a virtual conference. Based on multiple, important factors—and despite our deep disappointment to not be able to welcome you to the Blewett School of Law in Montana — we see this as the best path forward to host a safe and successful conference, accessible to as many people as possible.
Forging a Climate of Justice: Reconnecting People and Place
Since its founding in 1980, the Public Land & Resources Law Review has encouraged discourse on issues surrounding public lands, natural resources, environmental, and Indian law. On a biennial basis, the Law Review convenes a Public Land Law Conference to enhance this discourse and provide a forum for national and international dialogue and scholarship.
This year, as a tribute to Margery Hunter Brown, who initiated the natural resources and Indian law programs at the Blewett School of Law and founded the Public Land & Resources Law Review, the conference will highlight voices historically marginalized or silenced in environmental and natural resources law.
Thursday, September 30 will feature an opening keynote address by U.S. Department of Interior Danna Jackson, Senior Counselor to the Director of the Bureau of Land Management. Friday, October 1, features a noon address by Dr. Len Necefer, the founder of Natives Outdoors, and panels on tribal knowledge in natural resources management; youth voices in climate advocacy; and the right to water. Supaman, an Apsáalooke rapper and fancy dancer, will deliver the closing address and performance.
Students and the general public attend for free after completing registration.
$125 for lawyers seeking CLE - early-bird rate until September 3.
$150 for lawyers seeking CLE - after September 3.
6.5 CLE credits
Thank you to our generous sponsors for supporting the 2021 Public Land Law Conference:
Clearwater Credit Union
Wyss Foundation Scholars Program
Montana State Bar Indian Law Section
Montana State Bar Natural Resources, Energy & Environmental Law Section
Montana State Bar Water Law Section
Browse the contents of Public Land Law Conference:
- 38th Public Land Law Conference: October 3-4, 2019
- The Alexander Blewett III School of Law at the University of Montana’s Public Land & Resources Law Review will be hosting its 38th Biennial Public Land Law Conference Partnership with the University of Calgary Law School. Carved by Glaciers: Stewardship Across the Northern Rockies, will be held in beautiful Missoula, Montana, October 3-4, 2019.
- 37th Public Land Law Conference: October 12-13, 2017
- The Alexander Blewett III School of Law at the University of Montana’s Public Land & Resources Law Review will be hosting its 37th Biennial Public Land Law Conference during a changing federal administration. Bridging Divides: Energy, Environment, and Empowerment in a New Era, will be held in beautiful Missoula, Montana, October 12-13, 2017. Our keynote speaker is U.S. Department of Interior Deputy Solicitor, Daniel Jorjani.
Video Recording of the 37th Public Land Law Conference
- 36th Public Land Law Conference: October 1st & 2nd, 2015
- The Editors and Staff of the University of Montana’s Public Land and Resources Law Review are pleased to announce the 36th Annual Public Land Law Conference, Transcending Boundaries: Achieving Success in Cooperative Management of Natural Resources. The conference will be held Thursday, October 1st and Friday, October 2nd, 2015 at the University of Montana in Missoula.
- 35th Public Land Law Conference: April 17th & 18th, 2013
- The Public Land & Resources Law Review and the American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources are pleased to host the 35th Public Land Law Symposium and 41st National Spring Conference on the Environment: Balancing Act & Paradigm Shift: The Role of Public Lands in America’s Energy Future.